~* MY LIFE - with - MY CHOICE - at - MY PACE *~

Monday 22 February 2016

Austria (Vienna) - February 2016

1st February 2016 - Monday 

My first overseas trip this year was none other than attending one of those business boosters meeting held in Vienna. I was trapped in front of my computer and on my phone before departing to the airport trying to complete as much work as I could knowing that the time will be limited once I arrived in Austria. The app’s notification concerning my flight delay worries me a little but luckily it wasn’t a long waiting interval where I get to arrive in Vienna at 5.30pm. 

The 3 Days Vienna Pass which I purchased in advance at €101.00 is to be collected at the airport nonetheless the instruction wasn’t clear and I wasted almost 20 minutes waiting at the customer service counter before being directed to the correct kiosk. 

The 4-stars Hotel Park Royal Palace Vienna was a good selection offering comfy room, luxury design and tasty food. My first dinner was undoubtedly the prominent Wiener Schnitzel (a very thin, breaded and pan fried cutlet made from veal) and I almost couldn’t believe that I’m capable of devouring everything served on the table. 

 
2nd February 2016 - Tuesday 

Congregating business users around the world, it is my pleasure to be invited to this meeting and getting to meet many people from other branches. It is as well my honour to be invited to give a short presentation and it’s been a while since I last presented formally to a large audience (excluding the routine trainings conducted for an approximate 10+ attendees). 

Other than the conference, the dinner was another great opportunity of gathering together exchanging all types of information. There was an unexpected prize giving ceremony and once again, I was awarded the first price but this time is for raising the most work tickets to the helpdesk in year 2015 (Opps..). After the dinner, 6 of us packed ourselves into one car and started our night visit to the town for some fresh air and exploration. We joked and we laughed all the way as few of us have completed our part of the presentation during the day and we are absolutely in the spirit of liberty. We spent at least an hour in Café Landtmann chit-chatting and by the time we returned to the hotel, it is nearly 12.30am keeping in mind that the meeting on the next morning is scheduled at 9.00am. 


3rd February 2016 - Wednesday 

No doubt that conference is deemed the most fattening event and usually this is how it goes [Breakfast - Seminar - Coffee Break - Seminar - Lunch - Seminar - Tea Break - Seminar - Dinner - Drinks]. After spending the long day in the conference room, 4 of us sneaked out once again to the town for a stroll before dinner. 

As I was not involved in the next day’s topic, I left Hotel Park Royal Palace and begin my solo adventure. A 1.6km walk took me to my next lodging place - Hotel Ekazent and as soon as the check-in is completed, I explore around the area looking for my dinner. I was lucky to discover this Japanese restaurant nearby and ordered a set of mix-sushi for take way since I was rather exhausted due to the late night outing the night before and I just can’t wait to return to the hotel for a good night rest. I’ve booked a double room because the promotional price was rather comparable to the price of a single room, but to my surprise, the room comes with 3 beds, a large sofa area and a changing room. Though it wasn’t new and modern, but I did enjoyed my 2 nights stay occupying the big room all by myself. 

4th February 2016 - Thursday 

The oldest zoo in the world - Tiergarten Schönbrunn is definitely worth visiting and finally I get to see the lovely Pandas!!! (But wait a second! Why is it in Vienna instead of China? Hmmp…) I have been going round the zoo but still returning to the same spot a few times just being reluctant to miss any chance of seeing the pandas. I guess the zoo keepers are keeping close eyes on me thinking that I am intending to kidnap those adorable bears…Lol 

Checking on the weather report assuming that it will be a warm sunny day, I went out with only a layer of jacket and very soon to learnt the lesson not to underestimate the winter in Europe. The weather was unexpectedly cold due to the strong wind and I was shivering under the sun. Having no other options, I turned to the entrance officer requesting to return to the zoo after getting my gloves and additional jumper since the Vienna Card is only valid for a single entry, and the officer is kind enough to approve my return. 

After spending 5.5 hours in the zoo, I paid the €5.00 to enter the Palmenhaus Schönbrunn for a tropical garden sensation. Guess I have had enough of palaces experience recently; I do not have much interest to enter the Schönbrunn Palace but just wandering in the incredibly wide garden. 

 

My previous travels often go with simple foodstuffs; however this time I decided to pamper myself with decent meals. I discovered this Restaurant Odysseus while on my way to Hotel Ekazent, and the word “Greek Cuisine” immediately caught my attention hence I decided to give it a try without realizing that this is actually one of the highly recommended restaurants in Vienna. Witnessing the crowd in this restaurant, one could easily tell how good it is whereby the ambience is brilliant and the food is excellent. To my surprise, a glass of rose wine and a plate of mix grill only cost me €17.70 which is way cheaper than I’ve thought. 

5th February 2016 - Friday 

Waking up realizing the rain outside the window, I immediately return to the bed and enjoy more dawdling moment before washing-up and get ready to move to the central of Vienna. The metro service to the town was pretty convenient and easy, it is almost similar to the London Underground where all route are clearly displayed. 

Hotel Pension Neuer Markt is located right in the heart of Vienna with just a few steps away from the well-known St. Stephen Cathedral. Even though the room wasn’t spacious, but it was clean, comfortable and exquisitely decorated. I was lucky to have my room ready at 10.30am despite the official check-in hour at 2.00pm. 

To me, Albertina is a must visit gallery because in there I found many near perfect paintings and masterpieces. In fact it was the artwork of Pablo Picasso that attracts me the most initially during the draft my itinerary even though I am not so much into art nor could I understand his magnum opus. Unlike any other museums, the only downside is that there is no coffee bar and I am almost starving to death at 1pm without having my breakfast but I will not be allowed to re-enter the museum with my pass if I decides to have my brunch at the café just a few steps away from the entrance in the same building. 

 

Having done some research prior to the trip, I make it a target to try some of the local specialties, and here I go with Apfelstrudel + Original Sachertorte + Schokolade Likör at Hotel Sacher. Nonetheless this combination doesn’t work the best because the sweetness in them is somehow overwhelming. 


Almost every famous touristic destination is conveniently reachable on foot. Although the Kaisergruft (Imperial Crypt) did cost me an additional €5.00 for the entrance, but it did not disappoint me as I was absolutely amazed by the metal sarcophagi and I could never imagine a coffin could be built in such an outstanding and extraordinary way.

 

Once again without having much interest in the Hofburg Palace, I turned immediately to the Schatzkammer (Imperial Treasury) to admire the valuable collection of treasures in the European history. The life-sized mosaic copy of Leonardo da Vinci's “The Last Supper” draws me to the Minoritenkirche (Minorite Church) even though this was not one of the top touristic spot.

 

In this city of Music and Art, you couldn’t miss the chance stopping-over at the Mozarthaus (Mozart House) and the Haus der Musik (House of Music). I might even consider returning to this city once more to sit in for a musical concert. 

The dusk came as early at 5.00pm due to the winter and most of the attractions were closed earlier than usual hence I took a leisure walk down the street looking for my dinner. There was a band of street performers with their instruments cheering the crowd with wonderful music on that Friday night. McDonald is definitely the best choice for filling an empty stomach of a drained body. The take-away meal allows me to enjoy my night in the hotel room and taking an early shower before hitting the sack. 

6th February 2016 - Saturday 

Even though there’s nothing too impressive on the breakfast counter, but the provision was sufficient for me to start my day. The best way of experiencing a city is none other than visiting their local markets. The Naschmarkt and Flohmarkt (flea market) was surprisingly big and crowded with all sort of items displayed - both organized and unorganized. I was at first concerned that the prices they would offer to a foreigner like myself would be unreasonable or ridiculously expensive, but my suspicious turned out to be false because the sellers were fair and some even have the price properly displayed. And here is where I accidentally broke a small glass souvenir for the first time, but was being consoled thereafter with the saying that this brings some good luck in return (with the €4.00 compensation… what a sotong)

  

I was attracted to the Time Travel Vienna after reading some good reviews on the Time Ride 5D Cinema experience, nonetheless it turns out to be below expectation. It is probably a great place for the kids to learn about the history of the city but might not fascinate adults very much. 

Trying to look for something special, I walked 2.4km to the Hundertwasserhaus (Hundertwasser House) and the Kunsthauswien (Art House Vienna) but unfortunately the limited hours hinder me from entering the museum as I will need to be at the airport by 4.30pm. The non-stop City Airport Train (CAT) service from Wien Mittie Station to the Vienna airport only takes 16 minutes at €12.00 and this marks the end of my trip. 

 

All I have to say is - I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH THIS CITY OF VIENNA! The surrounding is clean, the township is safe, the atmosphere is relaxing and most of the people are polite and helpful. I will absolutely recommend this place for solo travellers or someone looking for a short romantic getaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment